Amal's blog

Thursday 2 December 2010

Getting back to Module WBS3835




I’ve been taken away by busy life circumstances, and now I’m getting back to catch up with the rest of the group. In the last three days, I’ve been going through the group blogs and checking what were their potentials, thoughts and questions to complete the WBL 3835 module.
There were many blogs that hold in between inspirational, informative entries, which gave me the insight to think about what will my research project be based on & what topic to choose for it.

The big “Thank you” goes to Paula, who kept motivating me to push my thoughts into the right direction & guide me through this educational journey. Also to the great WBL stuff, that still tracks our blogs to give responsive feedback & supportive, helpful resources.


 Also, another big “Thank you” to nowadays technologies that let me get access to all the uploaded project materials whether were PowerPoint slides of campus sessions, audio, video & scanned images of ideas, illustrated methods & inspirational keywords. That really helped me a lot to generate what I’ve already missed out in group sessions & lectures. Also, being able to access the library online & search the resources needed to accomplish this project.


Well, for my research project, there were a lot of topics that were already stuck in my head through my everyday career life. Every time I got a new task/brief from a client, I go through researching the task & gather information about it.
As a designer, I’m required to research whenever I start a new task to trace out the latest ideas/solutions that have been designed out there.

It’s my first time working on academic research with totally different procedures to carry on the research itself and for academic purpose, which is not what I used to work on while doing a research for a client task brief for a business purpose. 


 The difference between academic research & work/Business research:

Academic research:
  • It’s conducted for purely academic purposes as part of my studies.
  • It’s a “Qualitative” research: (Qualitative research is used to explore and understand people's beliefs, experiences, attitudes, behavior and interactions. It generates non- numerical data)
  • The Writing style is based on thesis, statement, literature review, documentary & supporting an argument, using quotes to prove an evidence & convince the general public (society), public researcher or learning community (audience).
  • It’s public
  • Long writing
  • More facts supporting it
The work Research:
  • Private Research, the research is based on the consumptive of a customer which make up the Business 
  • Its based on a business problem or situation with the consumer
  • Business audience for a business research is the top management.
  • Business research related with actual management and business problems occur in real world
  • It’s “Quantitative” research: (Quantitative research generates numerical data or data that can be converted into numbers)
  • Writing style is based on multiple business purposes such as: a meeting memo, task plan, evaluating the statistics (that is depending on the market/sale/customer/company purposes)
  • Short writing, direct writing
  • Less facts backing it or retelling facts
  • Less argument (specially or advertising)
  • Customers/Audience are targeted& limited
  • They inform audience to persuade them

Resources:
http://www.snapsurveys.com/techadvqualquant.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Amal

    good to see you looking at these distinctions. I am not sure I would agree with all of the distinctions , for example I think business research can also be qualitative, I think you have shown that personal and workplace interest are both important for professional practice. I have a book called Business Research Methods by Alan Bryman and Emma Bell that I found useful when I was asked to do some organisational research - another one up on the MDX library site in electronic form in - link from my blog - http://paulanottingham.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-mainly-for-continuing-students.html

    so keep think about the differences and the similarities - you might find a graphic design related book that might also be helpful about preparing projects for clients - it might add to our social science approach,

    ReplyDelete