Amal's blog

Saturday 4 December 2010

Learning Diary (2): Defining Data Approaches

According to my research topic, choosing a research method will classify the perspective behind the research to collect and analyze data. Also, it will detect the appropriate practical skills or tools required to conduct the research.
Referring to the campus’s second session that held on 3rd of March (presentation published online on Paula’s blog), I looked into the research approaches concerned with the collection and analysis of Quantitative and Qualitative data.
Qualitative research is designed to identify a target audience’s range of behavior and the attitudes that drive it with reference to specific topics or issues. It uses in-depth studies of small groups of people to direct and support the explanations of hypotheses. The results of qualitative research are descriptive and circumstantial rather than predictive.
Quantitative research refers to the systematic experimental investigation of phenomena and their relativity to develop and apply statistical theories and hypotheses relating to the phenomena.
Quantitative research includes surveys and clients questionnaires that can help companies to improve their productions and services by making informed decisions.
I think using the combination of the two broad approaches is more appropriate to conduct my research.
Firstly, I’ll need to collect data through qualitative methods such as documents and literature.
After that, I’ll use the quantitative research approach to analyze the collected data by using a survey.
The advantage of using both approaches is to add more depth to my research and to ensure that I’m using more than one source to collect data. Plus, that will help me to break down my thinking on how I’m going to undertake my project and use a suitable research technique.

References:
http://www.qrca.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_research

No comments:

Post a Comment